Recipe and image from spoonforkbacon.com
Crispy Baked Teriyaki Drumsticks
8 chicken drumsticks
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup unflavored rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
toasted sesame seeds
thinly sliced green onions
1. Pat drumsticks dry with paper towels and set aside. In a large Ziploc bag add baking powder, salt and black pepper and shake together until fully combined.
2. Add drumsticks, 4 at a time, seal the bag and shake until completely coated. Shake off any excess coating and place drumsticks onto a cooling rack lined baking sheet (the cooling rack will allow more air to circulate around the drumsticks allowing them to render and crisp up better).
3. Repeat until all drumsticks are coated. Line them on the baking sheet, 1 inch apart and refrigerate for 3 hours.
4. While drumsticks rest, make the teriyaki glaze. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Simmer sauce for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Set aside until ready to use.
5. Preheat oven to 300˚F (150 C/Gas Mark 2).
6. Place drumsticks in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
7. Increase oven temperature to 425˚F (220 C/ Gas Mark 7) and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until juices run clear when drumsticks are cut.
8. Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 5 minutes.
9. Brush drumsticks generously with glaze and finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve over simple fried rice.